#5thchat is for people interested in chatting about topics in education, especially as they relate to Grade 5. The goal is to connect people who enjoy learning & sharing, plus supporting & creating partnerships worldwide!
A1: It has students moving creating partners and groups when and where needed. It sounds like all voices can be heard, and important questions and info are presented to the whole group by Ss or Ts #5thchat
A1 - Productive noise, conversation, Ss working in partners or small groups, Polite disagreement & adding on to what peers are saying, head nods, eye contact, speaking freely without worry, comfortable with each other, teacher walking around listening/providing feedback. #5thchat
A2: Flexible space, tables and desks of different heights, floor seating - no place is off-limits. All with the understanding that if it’s not productive, they’re invited to move. You are not a tree. #5thchat
A2 - We LOVE our trapezoid tables in the middle of the room. Kids are free to sit wherever they want all day and most congregate to these tables. They are easy to spread out and combine in unique ways for different purposes! #5thchat
A2 - This is a great task to assign to Ss. Let them design their learning environment. Some parameters may need to be put in place, but you’d be surprised by the inventive layouts they come up with. It requires planning, teamwork, execution, & a little bit of sweat ;) #5thchat
Please consider volunteering to moderate an upcoming chat. I give you all the directions and support you need to be successful!
You don't have to be a 5th grade teacher to moderate! Just choose a topic 5th grade T's would appreciate!
Thanks - Let me know!
A3 Google Docs and Slides tied into Classroom are my stand boys. Have really enjoyed using #flipgrid, #bookcreator, #doink green screen to allow for more collaboration between learners. These then can be shared via Google for all to see. #5thchat
A4 - Responsibility Partners: On assignments where students would typically work alone, I have them work side-by-side with an assigned partner who ensures they each understand directions & manages time wisely. They ask each other questions, as needed & provide support. #5thchat
Just put @teamshake on my phone which allows for quick partner pairing. Kids will shake it and get a new partner for the day who they are working with for directions and guiding when one has been away at specials. Also is math presentation partner.#5thchat
A5: Tech is a great tool for students who don't yet feel comfortable with oral presentations or sharing their ideas with a group of other students. Another idea could be grouping students based on if they are more intro or extroverted to make sure they are comfortable #5thchat
A5 @padlet, back channels, and finding that one friend who they do feel comfortable with to get them started. Finding their interest has been helpful in getting them to share. Also created a wall where kids can put up anything and everything they want to share. #5thchat
A6 - Discussing what listening looks like and feels like; the importance of respecting others’ ideas/opinions; how to disagree respectfully. Hanging conversation starters (stems) on the walls make for an great resource. #5thchat
A7: Because I want ALL of my kiddos to become comfortable with everyone in class, I pull sticks for random partnerships 90% of the time. The other 10%, I choose the groups purposely ahead of time to mix abilities. Ss only work near friends during whole class instruction. #5thchat
I made tongue depressors. But I also have some from TPT. :) l think there is a free one. if I find it, I will post it. I date myself since some kids don't know who some are! ha! #5thchat (lucy and ricky..don't do that one!) :)
If you guys have anything left in the tank, would you please consider jumping over to #Peekachat starting in 3 minutes?
It's only 30 minutes and we're discussing "Perseverance in the Elementary Classroom" tonight! Thanks!!! :) #5thchat